Villanova d'Albenga lies between the torrents of Arroscia and Lerrone. Its territory is constituted by the historical medieval borough, dating back to 1250, and the hamlets of Bossoleto, Ligo, Marta and Coasco.
The ancient village was founded by the municipality of Albenga in 1250 as a strategic outpost defending the town against the Marquis of Clavesana. The fortified walls and towers added to the original nucleus of the village are still visibile and represent a well-preserved exemple of medieval fortification.
The first news about Garlenda began to spread and to be documented around the High Middle Ages, when the village became an integral part of the Marquisate of Albenga. In 1091 the marquisate came under the jurisdiction of the Clavesana family, descendants of Bonifacio del Vasto. Nevertheless The Clavesanas failed to dominate the marquisate. For this reason in 1127 Albenga and its marquisate were declared an autonomous territory. The town suffered the invasion of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the French army of Napoleon Bonaparte. In 1815 the territory of Garlenda was annexed to the Kingdom of Sardinia.
The town is famous for its beautiful Golf Club, with an 18 holes golf course.
The history of Alassio dates back to the Xth century. In that period the first nucleus of the city was founded near the church of Sant'Anna ai Monti, and some families settled on the hill lying behind, near the present village of Madonna delle Grazie, in the place known since as "Castè." In the village it's still visible one of the oldest coat of arms of Alassio. During the eleventh century the village was under the control of the Benedictine monks coming from the Island Gallinara and later it came under the control of Albenga that administered the town until the sixteenth century. In 1625 Alassio was ruled by the Savoy family , but was soon reconquered by the Republic of Genoa. In 1797, during the Italian campaign,Napoleon Bonaparte occupied the town and after the fall of the Republic of Genoa absorbed it in the new Republic of Genoa, annexed to the First French Empire. In 1815 Alassio became part of the Kingdom of Sardinia, as provided in the Congress of Vienna of 1814.
Alassio is also famous for the Muretto, where prominent people in all fields (from sport to culture and comedy) have left their signature.
Albenga is located in the western Riviera of Liguria, in the plain that lies at the mouth of the river Centa, which over the centuries has been the real architect of the Albenga plain, shaping the land several times, thus forcing its citizens to build embankments and bridges since the foundation of the town. Until the seventeenth century Albenga based its economy on maritime trade.
The beautiful historical center of Albenga with its towers, narrow streets and the Cathedral it's certainly worth a visit.
Like the majority of towns in Liguria, Laigueglia is a small village on the seaside. It borders on the towns of Alassio and Andora. Laigueglia stretches along the coast of the Riviera Ligure di Ponente, lying between Cape Mele and Cape Santa Croce. The first human settlements date back almost certainly to Roman times, when the village took the ancient name of "Mignon." During the XIVth and XVth centuries Laigueglia became a strong commercial and maritime center. The town followed the fate of the other towns of the area, until it became part of the Kingdom of Italy in 1861. It is now an important tourist centre.